Should I worry about amount of radiation from a CT scan for a pulmonary embolism study?

Dr. Christopher White
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Radiation concern

It is always reasonable to be concerned about radiation exposure, but you have to keep it in perspective of the risk of the disease being considered.
One ct scan is not a lot of radiation, while a pulmonary embolism can cause death. The risk to benefit would favor having the ct scan.

In brief: Radiation concern

Dr. Christopher White
Dr. Christopher White
Dr. Alvin Lin
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: No

I'd worry more about possible pulmonary embolism which could be deadly in the short-term as opposed to excess radiation from the ct scan which would need to be repeated excessively in order to be worrisome in the long term. I suppose if the tech wasn't paying attention and the ct scanner hadn't been checked & certified, it's possible to get too much radiation but i'm more worried about pe.

In brief: No

Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Lottery

Have you ever won? So do not worry.

In brief: Lottery

Have you ever won? So do not worry.
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau

In brief: Change

It is now estimated that 2, 500 cts induce one lung cancer.

In brief: Change

Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: No

As drs.
White, lessnau, and lin all said, you risk of having an undetected and untreated pulmonary embolism is far higher than your risk from having one ct scan of your lungs.

In brief: No

As drs.
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau

In brief: 1/1500

This is the chance of getting lung cancer.
Do not worry.

In brief: 1/1500

Do not worry.
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine