U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old member asked:

Can surgery correct ed?

4 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Moez Khorsandi
Urology 28 years experience
Yes: When a man has erectile dysfunction, there are multiple treatment options including oral medications, penile injection therapy, and a vacuum erection device. If all the agents fail and/or contraindicated for that patient, then the last resort is surgery. This is for placement of penile implant (prosthesis). There are several types of implants depending on patient preference and patient dexterity.
Dr. James Lin
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Great! Together, we can extend & expand beyond 400-letter space to address same or like issues to complement each other so to serve virtual patients better than ever & FREE. I appreciate such occasions here. Nonetheless, be aware: Universal Healthy Lifestyle without overindulgence & obsession is foundation of healthcare & key to longevity. Detail? To http://www.formefirst.com/eMagicPowerUHL.html.
Apr 23, 2014
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Geriatrics 41 years experience
Basically not: Only when the cause is vascular after an injury, vascular repair might help. Not respondents to medical treatment may consider penile prosthesis with pros and cons. Ask to a very specialized urologist in e.D.
Dr. James Lin
A Verified Doctoranswered
Urology 52 years experience
No, but...: Everything we do in life / medicine is just to modify something for working better, but always comes with a price. Any surgical care is considered as the last resort of care after failing to respond to drug, physical therapy, lifestyle change, injection, etc. So, ed-related surgery may be penile implant, penile straightening for peyronie's disease, just like hip/knee replacement for djd...
Dr. Matthew Wosnitzer
Urology 16 years experience
Depends: Cause of erectile dysfunction must first be determined. At 24, most likely anxiety. Most common algorithm for appropriate candidates starts with oral medication (called pde5 inhibitors=sildenafil=viagra) first, followed by penile injection therapy (usually mixture of phentolamine, papaverine, alprostadil= trimix). If these steps do not work, then penile prosthesis surgery is considered.

Related questions

A member asked:
Is there a surgery that can correct a chronic quadratus lumborum?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
How long is the recovery for the surgery to correct hirschsprung's disease?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
Is surgery best to correct hocm?
3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 29-year-old member asked:
What types of surgery correct farsightedness?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 49-year-old member asked:
Is there a surgery for correcting uneven eyes?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Apr 24, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.