U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 28-year-old member asked:

Doctors in this app told me should be do pap smear for anal warts hpv , im just live in a homophobic country and these tests not exist , and i don't know what can i do ? just waiting a cancer and death ??

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 54 years experience
If you have had receptive anal sex, you are at increased risk of anal HPV and anal cancer. "What else" you can do is get vaccinated against HPV, which will greatly reduce that risk. Even without vaccine, the large majority of exposed persons do not get anal cancer; try not to worry. We all hope attitudes about same-sex relationships and medical care for the consequences some day will improve.
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 54 years experience
Provided original answer
You're not missing out on proved prevention by not having access to anal Pap smears. Anal paps are in research, not (yet?) shown to be effective in preventing cancer and not widely recommended.
Feb 20, 2022
Last updated Feb 20, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.