U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old female asked:

Is it a rash, a tampon issue or an std? i'm 21 and have been experiencing discomfort around my vaginal opening. i recently got off of my period and i noticed the discomfort after i took out my last tampon. there are two lines (straight) that extend out fr

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joy Jackson
Family Medicine 20 years experience
It : It sounds like you may be dealing with vaginal trauma. Is it possible that you could have injured your vagina during intercourse or when inserting tampons? On the other hand if the area feels bumpy then herpes is also a possibility and needs to be ruled out. There are other possibilites as well (bacterial or yeast infection), however a doctor will need to examine you and possibly do some testing to figure out what is going on. Best of luck.
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 54 years experience
Yeast infection also is always a consideration for genital irritation, especially if itchy. But since you mention STDs, they must be on your mind, suggesting you might be at risk. This is not a typical STD symptom, but still it might make sense to be tested for common STDs.
Feb 9, 2018
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Needs to be seen: First. before seeing a GYN MD, make sure that you are not using any feminine hygiene products or irritating soaps. Wash only with Dove or Ivory for 24 hours. Secondly, make sure that you use underwear with a cotton crotch that has been thoroughly rinsed of detergent. If the irritation continues see a GYN MD.
Last updated Feb 27, 2019
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.