U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A male asked:

Idk if i have herpes

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tiffanie Noonan
Pediatrics 21 years experience
See your doctor: Get an exam and have a physician answer this question for you. If you are having lesions now - it is the time to go!
Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Internal Medicine 39 years experience
Herpes: Herpetic lesions are small fluid filled bumps called vesicles, usually a cluster,rarely single.They are painful, sometimes early tingling or itching. The vesicles are contagious. It is best not to touch them , or to kiss or have oral sex, till scabs formed. Takes 10-14 days to heal. Treatment: acyclovir, or L-lysine( for oral lesions)
Dr. Larry Eastburn
Family Medicine 25 years experience
Cultures can help: HSV1 and HSV2 have similar morphology and natural history. Recurrent small grouped vesicles occurring on a reddened base, usually painful and found on the oral lips and genital areas are the most common symptoms. About 85% of the pop has HSV1 and 25+% have HSV2. Genital herpes may also be due to HSV1. Viral cultures and blood tests, antibody tests, are positive. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Related questions

A 21-year-old female asked:
Signs of herpes?
3 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A 62-year-old male asked:
Is herpes serious?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 20-year-old male asked:
Can herpes be cured?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 23-year-old male asked:
I think I have herpes
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
How did I get herpes?
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 27, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.