after breast reduction operation, when is it okay to sleep on my side?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Robert Alexander
27 years experience Plastic Surgery
Good to vary sides: Sleeping partially upright will help with the swelling reduction. It is ok to sleep some time on both sides following br after the first week. Sleeping on one side often results in more swelling in the "down" side compared to the "up" side. It is better that the breasts have good drainage (gravity) of swelling fluids in the post-op period for the first month or more.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
Dr. Otto Placik
34 years experience Plastic Surgery
When approved ? 3 wk: Generally speaking it should be acceptable at 3 weeks but always check with your surgeon first.
Answered on Mar 24, 2012
1
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press commented
44 years experience Plastic Surgery
Everyone has his/her own predjudices, but I alow my patients to sleep in any position that is COMFORTABLE after the first 48 hours, when I ask them to elevate their upper bodies on two pillows/
Mar 24, 2012
Dr. Barry Press
44 years experience Plastic Surgery
When comfortable: If it is a comfortable position, go for it.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
2