Woodland, CA

can eye strain from excessive computer time at work prematurely age eyes and cause eye floaters?

Dr. Bruce Saran
Ophthalmology 33 years experience
No: The clear gel that fills eyeball is normally attached to all parts of the inside of the eye. As we get older it can become more liquid (watery) and detaches from the back of the retina causing flashes & floaters. This can indicate a retinal tear. As the retina detaches, change or loss in your side vision is the next symptom. Computer unrelated. U should see your eye doctor to check the retina.
Dr. Olivia Liao
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
Not aging at work: The eyes cannot prematurely age or develop vitreous floaters while using computers for long periods of time. Prolonged staring at the monitor can reduce blinking and cause dry eyes/ and floating pellets of dried up oils in the tear film. If using warm compresses and artificial tears do not help, get a dilated eyemd exam to get an accurate diagnosis.