why does wife say she has to wait 6wks to have sex after a hysterectomy?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Mary Vanko
33 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Hyst healing.: You don't want her vagina to rip open and her bowel to come out her vagina. Wait the six weeks!
Answered on Jun 5, 2014
1
4
Dr. Janis Fee
Dr. Janis Fee commented
32 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
I agree. It can happen. Don't worry, the vagina usually will heal fine and all will be good in that department. BUT even at 6-10 weeks... GENTLE!
Jun 5, 2014
Dr. Carolyn Thompson
27 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Opening of wound: Dr. Vanko's answer may sound dramatic, but vaginal penetration before the vagina has fully healed can cause the incision at the top of the vagina to open and intestine to slip into the vagina. I saw this in our emergency room last week.
Answered on Oct 5, 2015
1
3
Dr. Howard Schreiber
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I agree
May 14, 2015