i went in for prk surgery on sat @ 2pm, sun i was in pain and felt a lot of burning in my eyes, today is mon and my eyes still burn. is this normal?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Richard Wieder
34 years experience Ophthalmology
PRK: Prk is a refractive laser surgery in which the eye surface is scraped off then the laser is applied to the underlying corneal tissue. A bandage soft contact lens is applied to help the eye surface to heal and reduce irritation in pain. However, you can still have symptoms like you're having. Call your eye surgeon to let him know. He may want to see you sooner than scheduled.
Answered on Mar 8, 2014
1
Dr. Richard Carlin
49 years experience Ophthalmology
Probably yes.: While this does sound normal, i would definitely check with your surgeon.
Answered on Sep 18, 2013
1
Dr. Harold Peltan
27 years experience Ophthalmology
Probably: Probably, but call your surgeon. Preservative free artificial tears taken every half hour to hour can help a lot. The burning can be a symptom of dryness of the contact lens. Also, your doctor probably prescribed a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drop. When you take it, you need to keep your eyes gently closed for 2-3 minutes and use your fingers to occlude the eye puncta. This will fix the burn.
Answered on Jul 26, 2018
1
Dr. Douglas Liva
39 years experience Ophthalmology
Yes: It usually takes around 5 days for the epithelium to heal and for the discomfort to diminish. Visual recovery takes a little longer. Be patient you should do well.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
2