U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Hudson, NH
A 53-year-old female asked:

I banged my finger a few weeks ago and got a huge blood clot. my entire finger turned black and blue. the next day, i got a protruding pea sized bump. now the bump is under the skin and painful. what should i do?

4 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bachar Al-Alami
ADHD & Autism 37 years experience
Make sure No FX: If no fracture , probably hematoma (blood collection) generally will be absorbed with time other wise if pain is not tolerated ?Can be drained with your doc.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
This merits: Medical evaluation. You can start with your physician. He or she should be able to determine if consultation by a hand specialist is warranted. Take care.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Family Medicine 58 years experience
Hematoma: It is a hematoma which is collection of blood under the skin of your finger, it will go away on its own with time as blood gets absorped back into your system and it can take few days.Rarely it gets calcified(calcium deposit)and may feel like a bump and can cause pain as it presses on the nerve and can be removed by minor surgery. But most dissipate on its own.
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology 45 years experience
Rule out fracture.: If the swelling is still there after several weeks, there is a chance that you broke a bone in your finger. See your doctor for an xray to rule out that possibility.
Last updated Jul 30, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.