Ashland, OH

is normal anxiety different from caffeine induced anxiety? when i drink coffee, i feel very unsettled and can't make it stop.

Dr. Carlos Satulovsky
Yes: Anxiety secondary to an anxiety provoking chemical can be much more intense than "natural" anxiety. Consult your dr or psychiatrist dr for a more accurate opinion in your case. Best luck !
Dr. Jared Adams
General Practice 11 years experience
Anxiety: Is experienced differently by everybody, but for it to be a clinical disorder it has to be debilitating. Sounds like you are sensitive to caffeine!
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin answered
Geriatrics 30 years experience
Don't drink coffee: Patient: it hurts every time i hit my thumb w/hammer. Doctor: then don't hit your thumb w/hammer. Anxiety is anxiety in terms of experience. What's different is cause. You know the cause. Better yet, it's avoidable. So stop drinking coffee. If you're really curious, pay attention to what happens when you drink tea, soda, or energy drinks as they all have caffeine to varying degrees. Chocolate, too.
Dr. Adam Tripp
Anxiety is anxiety: The only difference between medically treated anxiety and untreated anxiety is the degree of dysfunction. If drinking coffee exacerbates your anxiety and makes you very uncomfortable, stop drinking it. All anxiety is "normal" it's just a matter of degree.
Dr. Rifat Naghmi
Cofee: Your best bet is a decaf:).