U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old member asked:

Can your bow legs get worse?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Douglas Curtiss
Pediatrics 28 years experience
Depends : It depends on the cause. Some causes of bowed legs such as tibial torsion get better with age. Others such as ricketts and blount's dis need to be treated.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 42-year-old member asked:

Will bow legs get worse?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 47 years experience
Age of patient ?: Infants are often a bit bowed at birth from intra-uterine positioning. By the time they get to 3-4 they are often knock-kneed and naturally straighten by 5-6.
A 34-year-old member asked:

Can bow legs get worse with time?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Family Medicine 16 years experience
Deformity: Bow legging can be a sign for early vit d deficiency as well as other associated bony defects. But if it chronically persists and left untreated it can be devastating.
A 39-year-old member asked:

How hard do you think it is to get bow legs correction?

1 doctor answer7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery 33 years experience
Easy via osteotomy : Bowed legs or varus knees can be routinely corrected via what is called a high tibial osteotomy (hto). Though not done solely for cosmetic reasons, but for unweighting an arthritic/injured medial (inside) compartment of the knee joint, the overall result is a straighter less painful knee.
Last updated Jan 6, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.