can acupuncture really work for my sprained wrist?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Daniel Mass
46 years experience Hand Surgery
Partially: Acupuncture has been shown to decrease pain but it will not treat or cure the sprain. The wrist should be examined to make sure that there are no true ligament injuries that can lead to chronic problems including arthritis.
Answered on Dec 14, 2013
2
2 comments
4
25 years experience Psychiatry
Dr. Oswari - Acupuncture is used in the military to speed return of personnel to full duty. This is done through increase of blood flow, lymphatic flow & Qi as was as reduction of inflammation.
Mar 30, 2013
Dr. Andrew Oswari
Acupuncture done correctly can definitely speed up the healing of your wrist by increasing the blood flow to the muscles, ligaments and tendons in the wrist.
Mar 28, 2012
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
49 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
Yes it is possible: Acupuncture usually help all kind of pain in body if applied correctly including wrist pain, however if you have mechanical problem you have to fix it. Thank you.
Answered on Mar 30, 2013
1
25 years experience Psychiatry
Yes: I agree with dr. Hadied. Acupuncture will not replace any necessary surgical repairs. However it can alleviate pain and reduce inflammation. It can also accelerate healing through reducing obstructions in blood circulation, lymphatic drainage, nerve conductivity and qi. However, for optimum benefit - it is best to treat as soon after injury as possible.
Answered on Mar 30, 2013