Why do antibiotics make you feel so tired?

Dr. Diane Minich
See below: Probably not the antibiotic but rather the infection you are taking the antibiotic for.

Palo Alto, CA

Can antibiotics make you feel drowsy, sleepy or tired?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
Yes, it can happen: I've certainly experienced it and so have my patients. I think it often is masked by the fatigue symptoms of the condition for which it is prescribed. Also, i think the new exotic super strong antibiotics might be even more likely to do this than the old penicillin. Some innocent bacteria, etc. Get killed by the drug like unintended war casualties and can imbalance your systems a bit. Get well!
Nigeria

Does too much antibiotics drugs make me feel tired?

Dr. David Brouwer
Antibiotics: Fatigue can be caused by many factors, and if you are wondering if the antibiotics caused the fatigue it is possible. Underlying infection can also cause fatigue, as can anemia, thyroid disease, cardiac problems, and many other things. To narrow down the diagnosis it is worth seeing your primary care doctor.

Why do antibiotics make me tired and achy?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 53 years experience
Doubtful....: Few if any antibiotics have this kind of side effect. I would be more suspicious of symptoms of the infection being treated, or maybe a psychological reaction to that infection or the drug. Discuss it with the doctor who prescribed the antibiotic. Good luck!

Do antibiotics make you tired?

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Not quite: It's not the antibiotics that make you tired but the infection that they're fighting. It would seem that it's the antibiotics but you don't take antibiotics any other time.

Can taking antibiotic make you tired?

Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Many reasons: Usually you feel tired due to the infection that has caused you to need the antibiotic. Some antibiotics can cause side affects that could contribute, such as diarrhea . Consult w your dr. If you are overly tired while on certain meds!

Last updated Jun 17, 2021