Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan

I've been on a diet for 7 months and my hemoglobin was 14.7 (smoker). is it possible to develop mild anemia due to iron or b12 deficiency in 7 months?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 31 years experience
Yes: Average lifespan of red blood cell is 90d so any nutritional deficiency affecting rbc size should show up after 7 months.
Pathology 45 years experience
Yes: Are you saying that your hemoglobin dropped to the anemia range? Nutritional anemias can pop up fast, or there may be another cause. All anemias are serious, and need to have a cause found. I hope that your diet did not make you deficient in one of the nutrients that you need -- it's best to work with your physician on this when you start. Hope the cause is found soon.
Last updated Aug 4, 2019