U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

What support is recommended for women having nursing problems?

5 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Pediatrics 23 years experience
Breastfeeding consul: Getting a consult with a good breastfeeding consult team and having good direct and phone contact with them. Also, some pediatricians are very good with this topic as well. Mom's should start with the pediatrician and seek of a good breastfeeding consultant team for help. Experienced friends and family can often also offer good advice and support.
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Pediatrics 24 years experience
Lactation consultant: You may find a good lactation consultant can help you with your nursing problems (even over the phone!) contact the hospital where your baby was born as you may be able to obtain good advice from the lactation consultant there. Also, your pediatrician may be a good resource for you, so don't hesitate to contact his/her office. Lastly, your local la leche league may be a resource for you as well.
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Pediatrics 33 years experience
Please ASK: The best thing you can do for you and your baby if you have nursing problems is to ask for help and support! start with your pediatrician, obgyn, labor nurses and local lactation consultants or laleche league. Many town health departments or wic offices can direct you to resources. Enlist the emotional support of your partner and mother or support person as well. Other breast feeding moms too!
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Nursing hot lines: Most hospital have nursing hotlines staffed by lactation specialists who will try to help you. There are also lactation consults who will make home visits and measure your milk production the baby's weight gain and your nursing techniques. I think la leche league is still around for this purpose.
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Specializes in Pediatrics
Pediatrician: Pediatricians feel very strongly that breast is best. They can provide lactation support for moms who are having difficulty, or refer you to a lactation consultant. Ideally, you had a prenatal consultation with your pediatrician, and discussed breast feeding, had a breast exam, and were guided in what to expect with nursing. See your pediatrican even if attend the birthing/breastfeeding class.
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Family Medicine 40 years experience
A good lactation consultant can also help with different problems that may be encountered. Do not listen to anybody whose answer for a breastfeeding problem is "Well, you can just use a bottle."
Nov 24, 2011

Related questions

A 43-year-old female asked:
What's the recommended cold medicine for a nursing mother? Thanks!
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 47-year-old member asked:
Is it better for a women to have big breasts when nursing a baby?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 30-year-old member asked:
My 4-month-old son gets agitated during nursing. Otherwise, he is fine. Could there be a problem?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 30-year-old member asked:
My son spits up after every nursing does he have a reflux problem?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 3, 2016

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.