TX

23yr f broke both feet 5th metatarsal neck, seeing a podiatrist, is this normal? should i request a bone density test? very active; did crossfit/run

Dr. Kelvin Barry
Podiatry 14 years experience
I say no: You are young and relatively healthy. No need fot bone density scan. You activity is what predisposed you to the fractures. Bone density wiuld be for if you had health issues, were older and menapausal, or had frequent breaks tuat take longer than usual to heal.
Dr. Matthew Wilkin
Podiatry 24 years experience
Yes you should: It is not typically normal to break both 5th metatarsals. However, since you are very active and do crossfit/run, you may be more susceptible to breaks. I would recommend a bone density test.
Dr. Christopher Hendrix
Podiatry 27 years experience
5th MT FRACTURE: You should have this followed with serial xrays to monitor alignment and healing. Any family history of fractures? Bone health for women is very important. Calcium supplement, vitamin d and exercise is very important. A bone density test is an excellent idea to evaluate for any early loss of bone mass ! -h-.

Last updated Jul 9, 2015