does stress bring on shingles?

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine 43 years experience
It can: Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. You can only get shingles if you have had chickenpox. The chickenpox virus stays dormant (asleep) in the nervous system and can be reactivated by a weakened immune system, causing shingles. Serious stress can weaken the immune system and bring on a case of shingles. There is a vaccine for preventing shingles for people over 50.
Dr. Tarek Shahbandar
Anesthesiology 22 years experience
Immune system: Stress can weaken the immune system which can increase chance of getting shingles. ...So yes it's possible. Get treatment soon. Good luck.