what are symptoms of getting radioactive iodine from a patient?

Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Radio active: Wrong question. You need to work hard to avoid that happening. If possible don't share a bathroom or toilet for a week after getting the radioactive iodine. If not feasible one of you must wait an hour or longer before sharing toilet facilities.
Dr. Philip Kern
Dr. Philip Kern commented
Endocrinology 43 years experience
The radioactive iodine will be in the patient's urine and sweat. With appropriate bathroom hygiene, you should not have to worry about the urine. Avoid sharing the same bed for 5-7 days, then change sheets, good hygiene. RAI does not cause "symptoms" unless you get a big dose to cause hypothyroidism. A low dose has a theoretical risk of thyroid cancer, but not with above reasonable precautions.
May 31, 2014