Williamston, MI

what is the max daily dose of vitamin b12 an adult female with very low levels can take? if her face is flushed is she taking too much?

Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Pulmonary Critical Care 36 years experience
1000 micro: Equals one milligram this dose works for most people. See doc if any trouble.
Dr. Kelty Baker
Hematology 28 years experience
B12 deficiency: The usual dose for vitamin B12 orally is 1 mg (1000 mcg) orally once daily. Some people need 2 mg (2000 mcg). It is never necessary to take more than that.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Interesting question: Adults generally need 2.6 micrograms b12/day. To replace deficiencies, im shots bypass gut absorption problems that can contribute to deficiency in the first place. 1, 000 micrograms of intramuscular cobalamin can be given once/day for 10 days, then once/week for four weeks, followed by once/month for life. Sublingual b12, 500-1000mcg/day. The form of B12 (cobalamin) may be important; see comment.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Provided original answer
Vit B12 can be given in the form of cyanocobalamin or methycobalamin. Cyanocobalamin is not found in nature although it IS found in many supplements. But Methylcobalamin is the form your liver and nervous system (including brain) uses. Your body has to use up methyl groups to metabolize cyanocobalamin, and methylcobalamin is the active form. I'm not sure which form this woman is receiving, but I wonder whether changing to METHYLcobalamin may help?
Aug 19, 2013