Can you explain how parathyroid hormone injections make bones stronger when too much parathyroid hormone made by the body weakens bones?

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Good question!: Parathyroid hormone (pth_ causes two main effects - a decrease in phosphorous in the blood, and an increase in calcium. If a body makes too much PTH (constant, high levels) it will leach the calcium from the bones to keep the blood levels up. Injections, however, are intermittent, lower concentrations that can stimulate bone strengthening by absorbing the calcium in the bood.
Dr. Scott Trimas
Facial Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
Hypercalcemia: Too much circulating parathryoid hormone can result in high levels of calcium which can cause abodminal pain, bone pain, kidney stones, etc. It purges the calcium from the storage site in the bones. Injectable hormone should be used under the direction of a qualified physician and is for people with low calcium not normal levels which can happen with the aging process.