My 70 year old mother is recovering from surgery to fix a broken hip. How can I help her become independent again?

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
22 years experience in Orthopedic Surgery
Encouragement: You can help by keeping her spirits up and encourage her to move and to walk. However, this will take time (sometimes 12 months) and the number of patients who will regain functional independence is usually about 50% with most patients losing one grade of activity (i.e. If prior to fracture, she was a community ambulator, she will likely be a home or limited community ambulator).
Answered on Nov 1, 2013
1