what predisposes someone to major depression?

Dr. William Holmes
Child Psychiatry 34 years experience
Multiple Factors: There are several factors that may increase the risk of depression. One of these is a strong family history of severe depression. Also, negative life experiences such as trauma, abuse, and multiple losses can increase this risk. Chronic pain and other medical conditions can play a role, as well as the abuse of substances such as alcohol and illegal drugs.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali answered
Depression: Biopsychosocial factors, mainly genetic (biological), self concept & esteem issues (psychological) and stress (social). This is one model, simplified to explain causes of depression.