why are my thumbs in my hands cramping?

Dr. Carol Van der Harst
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 35 years experience
Depends: If symptons sudden, with activity, it suggests silent carpel tunnel syndrome in your diabetes affecting the relative strength of your thumb to your other fingers. If the problem is developing slowly, with arthritic stiffness and weakness, you may have neuropathy. Overuse of the hands can trigger thumb problems because it is the most vulnerable digit. Don't worry, there are solutions(splints).
Dr. David Hildreth
Hand Surgery 44 years experience
Could b # of problem: Cramps in the hand can be a result of a number of different problems carpal tunnel syndrome osteoarthritis of the base joint of the thumb tendonits vascular problems just to name a few you should be evaluated by a hand surgeon and the exam should include x-rays and a through neurological and vascular exam of the whole arm.