how long should i wait to drink alcohol after taking clonazepam? it has been two days

2 doctor answers
Dr. Ravi Chand
25 years experience Psychiatry
Alcohol: Has your physician recommended this? Depends how much alcohol you are deciding to drink? Uncommon side effect of stopping Clonazepam is you can get withdrawal seizures if you drink your physician recommended amounts you should be fine in general.
Answered on Sep 5, 2020
1
Dr. Pamela Pappas
41 years experience Psychiatry
Clonazepam & Alcohol: The half-life of Clonazepam is 19-60 hours, depending on the state of your liver and other health. This means you still have clonazapam in you, although less than 48 hours ago. It takes 4-6 days for all the Clonazepam to be eliminated from your system, assuming you don't take any further doses. I suggest not drinking alcohol with this medication at all. Please discuss with your doctor.
Answered on Nov 5, 2020
3
3 comments
24 years experience Psychiatry
Dr Jacobson - your story is a great illustration of the problems that can arise.
Aug 11, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
41 years experience Psychiatry
Provided original answer
Thank you, Dr. Jacobson. Glad you were okay after your unwitting Lorazapam adventure!
Aug 11, 2013
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I absolutely agree. When I was in my residency and intern is prescribed me 1 mg of lorazepam a day. I had not Taken any since the day before an event where I had one 12 ounce can of beer. I have an excellent driving record. I also have an excellent response time with my feet since I am a concert organist. All it took was that one beer mixed with that 1 mg of the Lorazepam the night before, and lorazepam has a much shorter half-life, and I rear-ended someone who made a sudden turn in front of me Without putting a turn signal on. It was still my fault. I should not have mixed the two. Take Dr. Pappas's advice to heart. Thankfully no one was injured in the accident.
Aug 11, 2013