U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old member asked:

Can an optometrist examine your eyes and tell if have had a stroke or some sort of head injury?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 53 years experience
Certainly: The optometrist might find a specific pattern of vision loss, or might generally notice some interactional problems such as speech difficulties. But if there are acute issues such as trauma or abrupt changes, best place to evaluate, in this situation is the emergency room.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 20, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.