United Kingdom (Great Britain)
A 61-year-old male asked about a member:

Hi, my father has recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer spread to liver and lymph nodes. untreatable how long to live?

Dr. John Fung
General Surgery 41 years experience
A few weeks: Given that you are 61, your father is around 80, so with stomach cancer and metastasis to the liver and ln, he will not have long to live, probably a few weeks. I suggest that you seek hospice consultation for end-of-life care. He should be made as comfortable as possible. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Surgery 41 years experience
Very difficult: Question to answer without further details & medical history. Depends on current level of strength, weight loss, etc. Something of this specific and personal nature would best be answered by his phyician or medical oncologist who would know your father's history in much more detail. A guess may be less than a year but pure conjecture. Very best wishes to you & your family in this difficult setting.
Dr. John Fung
General Surgery 41 years experience
A few weeks: If you are 61, your father is at least 80. With gastric cancer with liver metastasis, he will not live very long, nor would he want to from a quality of life standpoint. I would think you should seek hospice consultation for end-of-life care. Make him as comfortable as possible. Good luck.
Dr. Matthew Solhjem
Radiation Oncology 23 years experience
Sorry to hear that: Unfortunately, when stomach cancer spreads to the liver, it is incurable. Chemotherapy is the main treatment. It is difficult to estimate survival. It usually ranges from a few to many months, sometimes over a year. This all depends upon how well his cancer responds to chemotherapy.
Last updated Jan 5, 2019