my 9 month old is very constipated and has been straining to use bathroom is there any thing you can recommend also is the straining dangerous. ty?

2 doctor answers
Dr. John Munshower
Discuss with Dr.: At your next routine well check, discuss this with your child's dr. For "continuity of care." straining and being constipated is very common in infants and your dr. Can help discuss the best diet and fluid adjustment that may be needed to improve the straining. Sometimes i recommend a 1 time teaspoon of karo syrup in an 8oz bottle which helps my patients. Best wishes.
Answered on Aug 5, 2013
1
Dr. Oscar Novick
58 years experience Pediatrics
Constipated: A change of diet may be needed. First reduce his milk intake to 16-20 ounces. Also reduce yogurt or any other milk product he is eating. Increase the amount of fiber in the diet by increasing his vegetable and fruit intake. Also add prune juice to his diet on a temporary basis but dont use other juices.Add high fiber cereals but avoid rice.Straining is normal for your child.
Answered on Aug 4, 2013
1