Irving, TX

i burned my arm 2 days ago w/ oil. i'm using antibiotic ointment & covering. i have a blister & can feel liquid sloshing around, should i drain it?

Dr. Marybeth Lambe
Travel Medicine 45 years experience
No: If a blister is intact do not open or drain it. An unopened blister acts as nature's bandaid. The liquid acts as a burn material, helping the underlying skin heal. If using antibiotic ointment be certain not to use neosporin for prolonged time (over 3 days) as the neomycin can cause skin sensitization and actually make the skin red and irritated.
Dr. David Hardin
Wound care 36 years experience
No protect it: An unpopped blister represents a closed sterile environment. Yes on occasion one can become infected then it is time to open it, however the risk of infection in a dressed open wound is still higher than that of an intact blister. The blister will gradually resolve with time.