Did geodon (ziprasidone) damage my histamine and dopamine receptors? i am taking no psych drugs and do not feel great. only way to sleep is one benadryl or 0 rest

Dr. Donald Jacobson
41 years experience
No: Geodon (ziprasidone) does not damage histamine or Dopamine receptors nor any other receptors in the central nervous system that we are aware of. I do not know why you were on Geodon (ziprasidone) in the first place, but if you're not feeling well i would recommend that you go back to your physician. It is possible to develop insomnia secondary to your primary psychiatric illness which then continues even if the primary psychiatric illness comes under control. This is called insomnia secondary to a mental disorder. You may get relief from your insomnia with melatonin which is over-the-counter. It is generally taken two hours before the desired time to fall asleep.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 2, 2016