Canada

My doctor put me on minocin (minocycline) for my acne but i'm nervous of side effects and drug induced lupus. are these very rare? i've been on this drug years ago.

Pathology 44 years experience
Good choice: Acne is a serious, chronic disease that is a major personal and professional liability. Minocycline very seldom causes problems and when it does, discontinuing the medicine and replacing it with something else is easy and you'll heal up fine. Nothing worthwhile in life is risk-free.
Dr. Ronald Krauser
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
The only issue with minocycline that can be permanent is a bluish discoloration of the skin.
Jul 29, 2013
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Rheumatology 48 years experience
Those are rare: Those are rare. It is always a balance between possibility of side effects and the value of their use in treatment for any medication, but inducing lupus is extremely rare.