I currently take amlodipine for hbp.i am a 30 yr male. i recently was increased from 5 mg to 10 mg.my ankles have started to swell, is this the cause?

Dr. Ibrahim Moussa
Internal Medicine - Cardiology 19 years experience
Yes: I find this to be a frequent cause of leg swelling in patients on this medication. It is a known side effect. Talk to your dr.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
52 years experience
Amlodipine: Amlodipine dilates peripheral blood vessels. One of the common side effects is lower extremity edema. Your swollen ankles likely are related to the drug.
Dr. Gerald Neuberg
Cardiology 39 years experience
Very likely: Amlodipine and other calcium blockers cause leg swelling in up to 10% of people, esp with higher doses. Not serious but a needless nuisance. You might be eating too much salt but, if not, tell your doc who can adjust meds. Option to lower the amlo back to the better tolerated dose and combine with either a diuretic or another type called an ace or and arb.
Last updated Jul 27, 2013