my 19 yr old son, possibly has schitzophrenia. hes been hospitalized 4 xs, and is a drug user. he is unresponsive to hospital staff, yet talks to me.

Love & Trust: Dear leopard. It is heartbreaking to watch a loved child deteriorate.My guess is that he responds to you because your relationship is meaningful to him. Love and trust can break through many barriers.
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Clinical Psychology 45 years experience
Mental Illness: So sorry to hear of his struggles. Try taking him to a family therapist where you will accompany him as he may be more responsive and less threatened if you are in the room. Don't give up in terms finding treatment options even though it is discouraging. Use the hospital he attended to ask staff for recommendations as they know your son, maybe he connected with someone there you don't know.

Last updated May 28, 2016