can you tell me how much weight can you lose by anorexia?

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali answered
Anorexia: That depends on how severe the anorexia is. Weight loss with distorted self-image is never healthy.

Need doc opinions! I am trying to overcome anorexia. How will I do so without putting on weight or bloating?

Dr. Julie O'Toole
Two different things: Weight restoration, while not everything, is the first, critical step towards recovery. No psychological processing/healing is possible if a patient remains underweight and the brain malnourished. Bloating can be controlled by not gulping water with meals--in fact, drink between meals but avoid or eliminate water at the table.

What amount do you have to weight to be admitted into the hospital for anorexia?

Dr. David Mcadams
Doesn't matter: In general while weight is one part of the patient's condition that is taken into account, doctors will look at the whole picture in someone with anorexia. Physical exam, mental condition, and especially labs and testing will determine if admission is warranted.
Finland

I'm 160cm tall and I weigh 42.7 kilos (i've lost 4 kilos in less than a week).Can I have anorexia whit this weight? I've ED but no labeled as anorexia

Eating Disorders: It would be inherently unwise to try to diagnose what type of eating disorder you have with the available information and over the internet (without benefit of history and evaluation). However for a 104 pound woman to lose 8 pounds in a week is excessive. Please speak with your doctor and let your parents know.

I've battled with Anorexia for 19 years, will I ever stop worrying about my weight and get fat?

Dr. Elton Behner
Dentistry 37 years experience
Quite impressive: if you are 15 years of age and have been aware of this for 19 years! Sorry just had to point it out. You will require counselling and a strong support group to change your body dysmorphic image (BDD). Best wishes.

Last updated Jul 18, 2013