U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Weyauwega, WI
A 33-year-old female asked:

I am 33 and stills suffer from acne. i have red marks on my face where breakouts used to be. any suggestions on how to get rid of acne and marks?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 46 years experience
Manage it: I was able to stop taking my acne medicine when i was 50. There's no cure but it does remit. If the oral contraceptive pill is right for you, it may end it. Otherwise, don't hesitate to let your physician treat you aggressively. One medicine that many physicians don't know, for tough cases only, is spironolactone.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 32 years experience
Go see Dermatologist: Your family doctor can refer you to a dermatologist if s/he isn't comfortable offering you various anti-acne options. The dermatologist should have various ways to help smooth out your skin & less your acne scars. Be prepared to use 2 forms of contraception & get monthly pregnancy testing if you want to consider Isotretinoin aka accutane, which causes birth defects, thus need for birth control.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 31-year-old member asked:
How can I get rid of red marks left from old acne on my face?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 22-year-old female asked:
How can I get rid of those red marks that acne leaves on my face? They take too long to go away
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jun 26, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.