what's usually recommended for getting rid of my addiction to porn!?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Shin Beh
Dr. Shin Beh answered
8 years experience Neurology
Find other things: Get a hobby, exercise, hang out with your friends, and if you're really in trouble, speak with a psychologist.
Answered on Apr 20, 2014
2
Dr. Ana Adelstein
26 years experience Clinical Psychology
Dr. Marty Klein...: ... Psychologist & sexologist, suggests we explore the way we think about porn & sex: "the concept of 'sex addiction' really rests upon the assumption that sex is dangerous. There's the sense that we frail humans are vulnerable to the devil's temptations of pornography, masturbation, 'promiscuity, ' & extramarital affairs, & that if we yield, we become 'addicted.'" more @ http://www.Martyklein.Com.
Answered on Dec 10, 2013
3
3 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
41 years experience Psychiatry
Thanks for adding that particular article -- very interesting points. For him, moving complex human issues like sexuality into the "addiction" realm diminishes our responsibility for managing ourselves and our impulses. "I'm an addict and therefore can't help myself -- so I have no responsibility for anything I do. It's 'the disease of addiction' and not me." vs "My sexual impulses are my responsibility and I need to learn to work with them." Thanks for expanding my view of this topic.
Jul 12, 2013
Dr. Ana Adelstein
26 years experience Clinical Psychology
Provided original answer
Dr. Pappas: Your concerns are valid. I think Dr. Klein would be interested in working with someone experiencing problems you describe. I think the difference is simply that he makes a case for framing such problems outside of the realm of "addiction." (See "Why “Sexual Addiction” Is Not A Useful Diagnosis — And Why It Matters," for e.g. It can be found here: http://bit.ly/1348g4h )
Jul 12, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
41 years experience Psychiatry
How do you feel this applies to someone who pursues porn over actual relationships, and who spends so much time on porn that s/he misses work or ignores his/her children? I would ask the same question about people who pursue indiscriminate sexual activity with multiple partners despite recognizable disruption of relationships, work, and other important life roles. To me it's not that "sex is dangerous" -- but it matters how it's used. Is it part of a full and engaged life, or is it being used as a medicament for inner pain?
Jul 12, 2013