Can you die from tonsillitis?

Pathology 50 years experience
Rarely: Tonsillitis is a treatable infection. Left untreated, in rare circumstances, the infection may spread to other tissues, cause septicemia and death. Tonsillitis may be followed by renal and heart disease.
Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 61 years experience
Only if complication: You will not die from tonsillitis. But complications of tonsillitis can lead to very serious problems. Heart disease, kidney disease if the Streptococcus is the cause. Peritonsillar abscess can lead to complications. So if the tonsillar infection extends beyond the anatomical region of the tonsil, there can be serious life-threatening complications.