U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 45-year-old member asked:

Can you die from alcohol abuse?

3 doctor answers14 doctors weighed in
Dr. Benjamin Sanidad Jr
Anesthesiology 52 years experience
Yes, indeed!: Alcohol abuse can slowly affect one's liver. End result is death from liver failure due to cirrosis.
Dr. Kamel Ghandour
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Dr. Sanidad is right. Also we sometimes see an alcoholic die from sudden illnesses that were provoked from an Alcoholic binge.
Mar 3, 2012
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management 28 years experience
Yes: Chronic alcohol abuse causes damage to the liver and pancreas. Cardiomyopathy (heart damage) is possible.
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology 34 years experience
Absolutely: Alcohol abuse can lead to liver, brain and cardiovascular complications, among other things. Not to mention the incidence of death related to trams and auto accidents witch may occur while intoxicated.

Related questions

A 39-year-old member asked:
How to know if you are prone to alcohol abuse?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
Can i tell me how i can stop drug/alcohol abuse?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old member asked:
How do I admit to needing help for alcohol abuse?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 29-year-old member asked:
How do rock stars deal with drug and alcohol abuse?
3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 24-year-old member asked:
Are there any medications that help you reduce alcohol abuse?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated May 3, 2016

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.