U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 24-year-old member asked:

Are there any medications that help you reduce alcohol abuse?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Riga Pemba
Internal Medicine 30 years experience
Yes: Antabuse (disulfiram) is something that can be prescribed by your doctor to help reduce alcohol abuse. This causes a severe unpleasant flushing reaction when one drinks alcohol. Many cannot handle this and opt for other medications to help with alcohol withdrawal symptoms instead.

Related questions

A 30-year-old member asked:
Are smart but uneducated people more prone to drug or alcohol abuse?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
How does both drug and alcohol abuse affect workplace health and safety?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 36-year-old member asked:
Which types of questions would a drug and alcohol abuse counselor ask a client?
1 doctor answer7 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
Is there specific classes that are needed to become a drug and alcohol abuse counselor?
2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jun 24, 2014

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.