my sister says she has congestive heart failure. are family members more likely to get the same thing?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Bennett Werner
43 years experience Cardiology
No: CHF is the final common pathway that results from many heart diseases. Unless you have a rare, inherited heart anomaly that you share with your sister, you won't get CHF unless you acquire some other progressive heart problem, for example, heart attacks.
Answered on Mar 8, 2018
3
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
31 years experience Cardiology
Discuss wit your doc: Depends on the cause. Heart failure from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a common cause which can run in families. Certain other cardiomyopathies can also be heriditary. If your sister had heart attack before age 55 the risk among other siblings is higher. It is best to get the details of your sister's heart condition and discuss with your doctor.
Answered on Apr 19, 2014
1