i have hpv i think my life is over-no one will want 2 be with me- i need to live in constant fear of cancer, and its permanent?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin answered
30 years experience Geriatrics
Depression/anxiety: Talk to your doctor. Just because you have hpv doesn't mean you'll get cancer, even if you have types 16 & 18. Even then, regular screening w/pap smears can detect any changes to cervix which can then be managed before turning into cancer. More likely, other hpv types just cause genital warts but not cancer. Regardless, talk to your doc about your concerns esp depression & anxiety caused by hpv.
Answered on Jul 23, 2016
1
Dr. Sewa Legha
50 years experience Medical Oncology
Not True!: Most hpv infections go away on their own.So do not give up but monitor it through your gynecologist. It is only persistent hpv infections which have some small risk of causing cancer. So i would be lot more hopeful than you seem to be. Just find a good doctor who can monitor your infection and counsel you properly and optimistically!
Answered on Jul 23, 2016
1
46 years experience Pediatrics
Put this in context: In the pre vaccine era as many as 70% of college age women had blood evidence of prior HPV on some studies.They went on to have productive lives & families. A few would develop cervical cancer after years or decades, but got pap smears to monitor for it.Now they just test for it more & results can motivate you to do your pap smears.Early detection saves lives, for most men it is a non issue
Answered on Mar 17, 2017