Millington, MI

I have pain in my upper buttocks and my hip joint when moving the leg sideways. is this a hip problem or sciatica? groin pain too but could be hernia

Dr. Marlis Gonzalez fernandez
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 13 years experience
Could be either: Without a physical examination it is difficult to tell what this could be. It could be either one. In fact groin pain is related to the hip many times. See a physician for examination. Some tests might be necessary and could include hip x-rays to look for arthritis.
Dr. Daniel Kessler
Seek exam: True sciatica is pain radiating all the way down your leg. A small percentage of people have the sciatic nerve exit through a muscle called the piriformis, so a good exam can distinguish. A good hip exam is in order. Best wishes.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 17 years experience
Typical Nerve: Nerves do all sorts of things when irritated so it is common to feel multiple areas. Usually this will go away on its own. If you are worried then see your doctor for further evaluation and maybe even a spine specialist.

Last updated Mar 4, 2016