Ireland
A 28-year-old male asked about a 28-year-old female:

My wife (7wks pregnant) used the toilet shortly after she cleaned it with bleach. vagina was exposed to bleach odor, will it harm the baby? thanks

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Pulmonary Critical Care 25 years experience
No: There is no way for the bleach odor to each the baby.
Dr. Holly Maes
No: Baby is not affected at all. It is actually a very good cleaning solution that is not harmful. Kudo's for keeping the bathroom and toilet clean and free of germs. But humans can actually bathe in dilute bleach solutions, and we sometimes do this if there is MRSA that keeps going around a household. She and baby will be fine.
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem commented
I am obviously less enthusiastic about bleach since people get inhalation chemical lung burns when used in poorly ventilated areas. I agree with the importance of cleanliness.
Jun 29, 2013
Dr. Marsha Davis
No: Mom and baby should be fine. The cervix is closed tight and baby is not affected by any fumes or things like that from the outside.

Last updated Apr 22, 2021