Saint Paul, MN
A male asked:

I have an insect bite that has caused a red blotch about 2 inches by 3 inches and itches for about 5 days any ideas of what this could be?

Dr. Wei-shin Lai
Bee sting: Could be a simple mosquito bite, bee sting, or lyme disease from a tick. I recommend getting it checked out by a doctor, especially if the red splotch grows in size or starts to look like a ring. If you have fevers, achiness, or other symptoms in the next week, also go see a doctor.
Dr. Sonober Umair
Insect bite: Sounds like local allergic reaction to the insect bite, if the area of redness is not spreading and does not feel warmer than the surrounding normal skin then just apply over the counter 1% Hydrocortisone cream and take appropriate dose of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) to stop the reaction and itching. If any tenderness or warmth then chance of secondary infection and needs to be seen by physician.

Last updated Oct 4, 2018