I have red skin and bumps around the outer corner of my eyes. i suspect this irritation is from my tears. what are the causes and remedies for this?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Joseph Eastern answered

Specializes in Dermatology

Tears would not cause this. Rashes immediately around the eyes are usually caused by dust, pollen, and other airborne allergens and irritants. Your eye sockets are natural "cups" that trap airborne particles, and the skin in those areas is thin and sensitive. Makeup used to be a common cause of such rashes but not any more; the cosmetic companies have largely eliminated allergens from eye makeup.

Answered Dec 10, 2013

5k views