I have red skin and bumps around the outer corner of my eyes. i suspect this irritation is from my tears. what are the causes and remedies for this?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology 44 years experience
Airborne: Tears would not cause this. Rashes immediately around the eyes are usually caused by dust, pollen, and other airborne allergens and irritants. Your eye sockets are natural "cups" that trap airborne particles, and the skin in those areas is thin and sensitive. Makeup used to be a common cause of such rashes but not any more; the cosmetic companies have largely eliminated allergens from eye makeup.
Dr. Alan Mindlin
Ophthalmology 50 years experience
Lacrimal gland: Get evaluated for focused treatment by an ophthalmologist. This is not as rare as you might believes.This can be from your tears. This would indicate infection under the lateral aspect of the eyelids where the lacrimal glands are located.

Last updated Feb 27, 2017