Culver City, CA

hiv window period is 3 to 6 months. what does that mean? that hiv will not be detected until after six months? super confused . tested neg at 6 months

Dr. Todd Abbott
Pathology 25 years experience
See below.: The window period is the period between infection and reliable detection. Each disease has one, but in reality it also depends on the test used to detect the infection. The common antibody test for HIV does have a longer window period. But in blood banking a nucleic acid test is used that has a window period in the range or 20 days.
Dr. Kathleen Mullane
The window is open..: Current HIV tests are very sensitive & very specific [a (+) is a true (+) & a (-) is a true (-)]. Routine HIV tests check your immune systems response to the infection (production of anti-hiv-antibodies). This response (window) can take between 3 & 6 wks. False (+) may be from pregnancy, flu vaccine, auto-immune diseases). If risky behavior (unprotected sex, idu, cocaine) : test early & often!