U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old member asked:

What do the experts think, should my eye doctor charge me if i go back for a prescription change ?

5 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Ophthalmology 46 years experience
Depends: If your last exam was recent and there was anerror in the prescription, they will probably not charge you.
Dr. Alfred H. Rivera
Ophthalmology 41 years experience
It depends: It depends on how long after the prescription was dispensed that you return to see the eye doctor. If it is soon after the original prescription and you are complaining of not being able to see well with them, a charge is usually waived. If it is a change that takes place after an annual eye exam, a charge is naturally expected.
Dr. Tod Haller
Ophthalmology 17 years experience
Depends: Depends on your doctor, when was the last time you saw him/her, any tests need to be done since last visit, your insurance and many other factors. There is no right or wrong answer. You'll find out when you get there. Good luck.
Dr. David Malitz
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
Generally not: Most doctors will do a "doctor's recheck" and most labs will remake a prescription for glasses with no charge at least one time. There are no hard and fast rules that govern the whole industry so if you are concerned about the fee, it is best to call the office and ask to speak with the billing department and make sure you write down the name of the person you speak with.
Dr. Mark Silverberg
27 years experience
It depends when.: If you come back within 3 mos, most doctors and optical shops will do a recheck free of charge. Beyond that, most places will charge you, although this can vary from practice to practice.
Last updated Oct 8, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.