if my child has not had an adverse reaction to a vaccine, can i be sure he will not have one in the future?

Dr. Michael Coogan
No: Any medicine or procedure has inherent risks and benefits. However, the actual risk of an vaccine adverse event happening is very small. Nevertheless, if you think your child may have had an adverse event following immunization, let your doctor know, develop a plan of action with her, and consider whether to report it to the vaers. Website: http://www.Cdc.Gov/vaccinesafety/activities/vaers.Html.
Dr. Su-pin Kuo
Specializes in Pediatrics
Yes: Vaccinations are in generally very safe with few documented adverse reactions. If your baby has tolerated a vaccination previously, they are likely to not have one in the future. For some vaccinations (such as the annual influenza vaccine), the composition can change year to year so be careful if your child has an intolerance to egg products.
Dr. Marcus Degraw
No: You can never be sure what the body will do in response to a medication. Children who respond without problems to some vaccines, may still develop issues with subsequent shots. However, the worst is generally fever, irritability, sleepiness and poor feeding for a couple days at most.
Dr. William Moore
No: Unfortunately, no. Your baby is less likely to have adverse reactions the older they get, but even adults can have ill-affects from vaccines. The MMR vaccine is not given before one year of age, but it is not unusual to have a fever and/or rash with this vaccine, even with no previous history of reaction to other vaccines. With any break of the skin, there is risk of complication.
No: Every day is a new day! so, one cannot predict that there will be no vaccine reaction in the future, even if there hasn't been a reaction in the past. However, it is unlikely that there will be a significant reaction in the future, because those reactions are uncommon.
Dr. Kevin Windisch
No: Having said that, since vaccines don't cause serious side effects i wouldn't loose too much sleep over the risk that your child may run a fever or be fussy after a dose of vaccines.
Dr. Paul Trani
Specializes in Pediatrics
No: Adverse reactions, sadly, cannot be 100% predicted based on previous vaccine reaction history, either positive or negative. Though I am a huge fan of vaccines, there's always the potential for an adverse reaction. Thankfully, the risk of serious adverse reactions is very low, much less than the risks of the diseases that vaccines protect against.
Dr. Cory Annis
Internal Medicine and Pediatrics 29 years experience
No: No, because it is possible for an allergy to develop after an initial exposure, but it is still quite unlikely.