I asked a question before and 3 doctors agreed the answer was 'cataplexy'. i was wondering is it serious and will i have to see a neurologist?

8 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Michael Jones answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Possibly: However you may want to start with your family doctor. I usually only send patients with narcolepsy w/cataplexy to neurologist or sleep specialist if it cannot be relatively easily controlled with medication.

Answered 10/4/2016

6k views

Dr. Mark Patterson answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Possibly: As you may know, cataplexy is a brief spell of loss of muscle tone, ranging from a shaky chin to completely falling down. It is associated with narcolepsy. Ideally, you want a doctor who is up to date on current medical treatments and has some experience in caring for patients with this condition. Your primary care doctor may be able to do that, but you may need to see a specialist initially.

Answered 2/17/2015

6k views

Dr. Dennis Clifford answered

Specializes in

Possibly: Cataplexy can be minor or very troublesome depending on the severity. It is frequently associated with narcolepsy. Both these conditions can be treated by a neurologist or sleep specialist. Ask your primary care provider if a consultation is necessary.

Answered 2/17/2015

5.9k views