i have a 3cm umbilingual hernia after my 1st pregnancy. it doesn't bother me for 8y already. i think i might be pregnant again. is hernia a problem?

Dr. Darrin Cunningham
Not a problem: The hernia is not likely to be a problem with your pregnancy. But if you we're to begin to experience severe abdominal pain, you should seek medical evaluation immediately.
Dr. Aruna Adaikkalam
But there is a potential for weakening of the area where the hernia is to make the hernia appear big during pregnancy as well as after delivery. But taking the risk versus benefit, because you want to have the 2nd child you need to take the little risk of the hernia becoming big in the future as well as the usual complications of any hernia like pain from the expansion with its contents, possible obstruction of its contents - especially of intestine vs total etc. In your case as it was stable for 8 years complications like obstruction and strangulation (loss of blood supply in addition to the obstruction of contents of hernia) appear less possible.
Jun 1, 2013
Dr. Darrin Cunningham
Provided original answer
I agree. Great addition to the answer.
Jun 1, 2013
Dr. David Earle
General Surgery 31 years experience
Probably not : It will get larger with pregnancy, but you should be fine. Watch out for severe pain, especially if the lump is really firm and hard. That situation should prompt you to seeks urgent medical attention. Good luck!